A cost effective print management solution
London’s Air Ambulance is the charity that delivers an advanced trauma team to London’s most seriously injured patients.
Bringing the hospital to the patient when time is critical, the charity serves the 10 million people that live, work and travel within the M25, treating an average of five patients every day. Despite popular belief, the service is not government funded and relies on the commitment of its team to generate funds.
London’s Air Ambulance Charity head office is home to several departments including marketing, fundraising and events. Each department is responsible for purchasing a range of print collateral and promotional items that range from collection boxes, banners, posters, leaflets, brochures, door drops and direct mail.
Over time the charity has grown, increasing the need for a range of printed collateral from all departments. With no central purchasing and until recently limited marketing, each department sourced printed collateral independently.
Brand guidelines were not always adhered to and similar items were printed by different suppliers, making colour and version control an issue. In addition, there were no volume-based savings or assistance with product development.
The challenge was to assess the requirements of each department, and provide a solution to make ordering cost effective and brand consistent. It was also necessary to audit the supplier roster. Furthermore, KPM could provide advice on the latest developments within the print industry.
We began with a print audit to establish exactly what print collateral exists. This included historical records and actual printed items, which highlighted the following:
- A range of materials used for the same printed item
- Colour variation on the branding throughout
- Inconsistency of brand identity
- No variation control – out of date items mixed with current
- Over ordering on some items
- No central digital assets – held with independent designer and external suppliers
- No rapport with external suppliers
- Limited product range and knowledge available.
Working closely with the team at LAAC, KPM provides a print management facility bespoke to requirements. This includes:
Online ordering platform
- Template items with editable fields, i.e. business cards
- Print rates established – constant pricing throughout
- Access to only approved users
- Ordering restrictions implemented
- Low stock and date sensitive notification alerts
- A pick and pack option for stock items
- Digital assets stored in one central location
- Brand consistency maintained
This simplifies processes and allows for extra suppliers. To support the online system, we provide a central dedicated manager to work onsite as and when required. This provides the team with technical and practical support, ensuring that day to day print requirements are met, on time and on budget.
Time-critical; the mailing was printed and sent within five weeks from receipt of artwork to landing. This ensured that the maximum time was available to sell the enclosed raffle tickets. KPM cleansed the data, eliminating duplicate names and completing any partial addresses to achieve optimum postal discounts.
In January 2019 London’s Air Ambulance rebranded to London’s Air Ambulance Charity, which required a range of literature and promotional products to be produced prior to the launch. This was time-critical and required a range of suppliers working together to meet the deadline over the festive season. All items were produced in time whilst maintaining brand consistency and within budget.